Starting with iOS 14.3, Apple Search Ads campaigns are measured through a new self-attributing integration based on the AdServices framework. Apple plans to deprecate the iAd framework.
- Singular's latest SDK and S2S integrations support both the current iAd and new AdServices framework.
- If you use the Singular SDK, update to the latest Singular iOS SDK 10.2.0+, which supports both the existing iAd and new AdServices framework.
- If you have an S2S integration, update it using the S2S implementation guide for Apple Search Ads.
Apple Search Ads is integrated with Singular via a "self-attributing" integration, where Singular relies on reported attributions on Apple's side, processing them through a last-click attribution model.
Up until iOS 14.3, Apple Search Ads reported attributions via the iAd attribution framework. Starting with iOS 14.3, Apple Seach Ads uses the new AdServices framework. Singular's Apple Search Ads attribution integration uses both frameworks:
- For devices running iOS 14.3 and above, Singular supports the AdServices framework to attribute Apple Search Ads conversions.
- For devices running iOS 14.2 and below, Singular uses the older iAd framework. Technically, this framework can also be used to attribute iOS 14.3 and above until Apple deprecates it (at an unknown date in the future).
Note that the two frameworks have different features:
|Partner||Apple Search Ads (AdServices)||Apple Search Ads (iAd)|
|Partner Type||Self-attributing Ad Network (iOS Only)|
|Publisher||Not Supported||Not Supported|
|View-Through||Not Supported||Not Supported|
|Re-engagement||Supported||Supported by request|
|Click Tag||No (Self-attributing)||No (Self-attributing)|
|Receiving All Installs||Yes (Self-attributing)||N/A|
|Receiving All Events||N/A||N/A|
1. Integrate the Singular iOS SDK/S2S
Warning: Make sure the iAd and AdServices frameworks are included! Singular's iOS SDK supports both AdServices and iAd.
Note: After this step, the "Apple Search Ads (iAd)" integration is fully configured.
2. Configure Apple Search Ads as a Partner
To enable the "Apple Search Ads (AdServices)" integration:
- In Singular, go to Attribution > Partner Configuration and type "Apple Search Ads" in the search box.
- Click to edit the partner.
- Click "Save". The "Apple Search Ads (AdServices)" integration is fully configured.
Reporting on Apple Search Ads Installs
Singular uses a 30-day click-to-install attribution window for Apple Search Ads, which aligns with Apple Search Ads' own attribution window. Additionally, Singular reports using the values as named in your Apple Search Ads campaigns. You can use special keywords in your Apple Search Ads campaigns to provide even more insights into how your users are acquired.
Note that "Apple Search Ads (AdServices)" and "Apple Search Ads (iAd)" support different campaign fields. For example, the AdServices integration only supports "ID" fields, not "name" fields).
Apple Search Ad reporting values are mapped to Singular reporting dimensions as follows:
|Singular Value||Apple Search Ads (AdServices) Value||Apple Search Ads (iAd) Value||Example|
|Tracker Campaign Name||(deprecated)||Campaign Name||“MyCampaign”|
|Tracker Campaign ID||Campaign ID||Campaign ID||12345678|
|Tracker AdGroup Name||(deprecated)||AdGroup Name||“MyAdGroup”|
|Tracker AdGroup ID||AdGroup ID||AdGroup ID||98123747|
|Source||Apple Search Ads||Apple Search Ads||“Apple Search Ads”|
|Keyword ID||Keyword ID||
|Creative ID||Creative ID (when available)||
When you run a report in Singular, Apple Search Ads will also match the SDK data with the spend data provided by Apple Search Ads API, including:
- Spend by Campaign
- Spend by Keyword
To start pulling marketing data from Apple Search Ads, add a data connector for Apple Search Ads in the Data Connectors page. See the Data Connectors FAQ for more information.
Downloads and Re-Downloads
Apple Search Ads supports reporting attributions for both "downloads" and "re-downloads". Both downloads and re-downloads are bucketed into the "Install" and "Re-engagement" metrics in Singular reporting, according to Singular's definition of an install and re-engagement.
Install and re-engagement attribution for Apple Search Ads is enabled automatically.
App Tracking Transparency and Reporting
Apple Search Ads (AdServices) attribution reporting includes attribution for users regardless of their App Tracking Transparency (ATT) status.
- For ATT opt-out users, Apple Search Ads (AdServices) claims an attribution via a "standard response" where the "click time" is not available. In these cases, Singular defaults the click time to 30 days (Apple Search Ads attribution window) before the install, for attribution. Singular records the attribution via the IDFV.
- For ATT opt-in users, Apple Search Ads (AdServices) claims an attribution via a "detailed response", where the "click time" is available for attribution. Singular records the attribution via the IDFA.
- All Apple Search Ads reporting dimensions are available regardless of ATT opt-in status.
Read more about Apple Search Ads AdServices' "standard" and "detailed" responses.
Possible Causes for Data Discrepancies
Discrepancies with Apple Search Ads may be due to various reasons:
- Apple records a download when the user clicks "Download", whereas Singular records an install when the user first opens the app (which may occur on a later date).
- For opt-out users measured via the IDFV, "re-downloads" in Apple may be counted as "Installs" in Singular. This is because the IDFV is reset on each re-install of the app, unless another app from the vendor exists on the device.
For more details on differences between the reported numbers by Apple Search Ads and Singular, see Apple's Mobile Measurement Providers page.
Are my Apple Search Ads Attributions available in SKAdNetwork Reporting?
No, Apple Search Ads is measured separately from SKAdNetwork, and therefore Apple Search Ads data is made available only in traditional non-SKAdNetwork reporting and in user-level exports.